Surgical treatment near Jacksonville, Florida
Orange Park Medical Center's board-certified surgeons provide patients with high-quality surgical care in Clay County, Florida. We use advanced imaging and diagnostic tools along with the latest minimally invasive techniques to provide patients with a wide range of inpatient and outpatient procedures.
Do you or a loved one need a procedure? To find out more about the surgical services offered at Orange Park Medical Center, call our Consult-A-Nurse® team at (800) 889-3627.
Our surgical services
Orange Park Medical Center's third and fourth floors are dedicated surgical units for adult and senior patients. All of our surgeons are highly credentialed and board certified in their specialties. Our skilled surgeons are among the community’s first to offer new and innovative surgical technologies, simplifying procedures and reducing recovery times.
By combining skilled medical professionals, patient education and state-of-the-art technology and equipment, we can meet the needs of patients experiencing a wide range of medical conditions.
Some of the surgeries we offer include:
- Bariatric (weight loss) surgery for qualified candidates seeking sustained weight loss solutions, including:
- Gastric balloon
- Gastric banding
- Gastric bypass
- Gastric sleeve
- Weight loss surgery revisions
- Breast surgery, including procedures to remove abnormal breast tissue for diagnostic and treatment purposes
- General surgery, including treatments for abdominal and gastrointestinal conditions, such as:
- Colon resection
- Inguinal hernia
- Nissen fundoplication
- Ventral hernia
- Gynecologic surgery, including minimally invasive procedures to treat conditions that affect female reproductive organs, such as:
- Endometriosis resection
- Heart and vascular surgery, including:
- Biplane procedures
- Cardiac device implantations
- Cardiovascular procedures
- Mitral valve repair
- Open heart surgery
- Pulmonary surgery, including minimally invasive procedures to detect and diagnose lung cancer and respiratory diseases, such as lobectomy and wedge resection
- Neurological surgery, including aneurysm coiling procedures and thrombectomy for stroke treatment
- Orthopedic surgery, including a range of procedures to treat bone, joint and muscle conditions, such as:
- Fracture fixation
- Joint replacement
- Ligament reconstruction
- Podiatry surgery
- Spine surgery, including:
- Cervical disc arthroplasty (artificial disc replacement)
- Cervical fusion
- Lumbar fusion
- Lumbar laminectomy
- Spinal fusion surgery
- Surgical oncology, including a range of minimally invasive procedures to remove tumors and treat a variety of cancers
- Urologic surgery to treat a range of conditions affecting the pelvic floor and kidneys, such as:
- Nephrectomy, both partial and total
- Peritoneal dialysis
Our pediatric program offers surgical procedures to children of all ages on our dedicated pediatric floor. We have a pediatric inpatient unit and a pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) where we treat young patients in need of surgery and close monitoring.
Our pediatric surgeons provide a broad range of surgical services for pediatric patients, ranging from newborns to teenagers. The pediatric procedures we offer include:
- Cardiopulmonary surgery
- General surgery
- Hernia and hydrocele repairs
- Neonatal procedures
- Neuromuscular and spine surgery
- Orthopedic surgery
- Tumor removal
Robotic surgery is a form of minimally invasive surgery in which skilled surgeons use robotic surgical systems with miniaturized surgical instruments to operate using small incisions. Preparation and recovery for robotic surgery are similar to traditional surgery. Patients receive preoperative testing and are given guidelines on postoperative care. While there is typically less pain associated with robotic surgery, patients may feel discomfort around the surgical site that can last a few weeks following the procedure.
Procedures available using robot-assisted surgery
Robot-assisted surgeries we offer include:
- Bariatric surgery
- General surgery
- Gynecologic surgery
- Joint replacement surgeries, including total knee replacement and total hip replacement
- Mitral valve surgery
- Pulmonary surgery
- Urologic surgery
Robot-assisted mitral valve surgery
Mitral valve surgery is performed to correct a leaking mitral valve (also known as mitral valve regurgitation or prolapse), which can cause heart failure. Traditionally, this procedure requires the sternum or breastbone to be opened and the ribs to be spread. However, the robot-assisted alternative procedure is much less invasive and can be performed with much smaller incisions, allowing faster recoveries.
Robot-assisted lung lobectomy
The surgical team at Orange Park Medical Center was the first in North Florida and South Georgia to perform a minimally invasive lung lobectomy with robotic assistance. A lung lobectomy removes part of a patient’s lung due to lung cancer. Robot-assisted lung surgery allows surgeons to make small incisions between the ribs to remove a lobe of the lung.
Robot-assisted gynecologic surgery
Our surgeons perform most gynecologic surgeries using robot-assisted technology. For example, approximately 98 percent of our hysterectomies are performed using robotic surgery. Also, recently, our surgeons pioneered the single site hysterectomy, allowing them to perform hysterectomies through a single, tiny incision in the belly button.
At Orange Park Medical Center, we can treat the following gynecological conditions using robotic surgery:
- Cervical and uterine cancers
- Fibroid tumors
- Heavy menstrual bleeding
- Pelvic and uterine prolapse
Robot-assisted joint replacement surgery
Robot-assisted joint replacement surgery is a less invasive alternative to traditional joint replacement surgery. In this alternative procedure, an orthopedic surgeon makes a custom, 3D model of a patient's hip or knee to pre-plan and assist the surgeon in performing a joint replacement.
Benefits of robotic surgery
Robotic surgery allows surgeons to perform procedures using tiny instruments that maximize a surgeon's range of motion and precision. Robotic surgery offers patients a range of benefits compared to traditional surgery, including:
- Decreased risk of infections
- Decreased use of pain medications
- Faster recovery times
- Less bleeding
- Less trauma
- Minimal scarring
- Quicker return to regular activities
- Shorter hospital stays
- Smaller incisions
Our surgeons and surgery teams
At Orange Park Medical Center, we have assembled some of the best surgeons in the Jacksonville, Florida, area. Our skilled surgeons offer their specialty expertise to treat a wide variety of conditions. Also, all of our team members have received specialized training in robotic techniques.
Our surgery teams include:
- Board-certified anesthesiologists
- Multispecialty, board-certified surgeons
- Registered nurses
- Surgical technicians
Physical therapy and rehabilitation
At Orange Park Medical Center, we offer physical therapy and rehabilitation (rehab) services to help patients recover from health conditions and surgical procedures. Our physical and occupational therapists assist with regaining mobility and functionality in inpatient and outpatient settings.
Staying updated on your loved one's surgery
We know surgical procedures can cause stress and anxiety for patients and their family members. To keep loved ones informed, we offer surgery updates via text message. If you would like to send updates to your loved ones as you progress from preoperative care to surgery through recovery, ask your surgical team about SurgiTrak.