Breast cancer screening in Jacksonville, FL
The Breast Cancer Center at Orange Park Medical Center offers women throughout Jacksonville and its surrounding communities access to breast cancer screening. Located within our main hospital building, the Breast Care Center provides a comprehensive approach to maintaining our patients' breast health. From a commitment to the early detection of breast cancer to managing alternative breast-related issues, our staff offers compassionate care you can trust.
Have you gotten your yearly mammogram? You can schedule a mammogram today at our Breast Care Center by calling (888) 887-6675.
Why choose the Breast Care Center
At the Breast Care Center, patient safety and convenience are top priorities. Patients who choose our hospital for breast imaging gain access to a facility that:
- Accepts all major insurance plans, including Medicare and Medicaid
- Has been certified by the American College of Radiology as a Mammography Accredited Facility
- Offers a multidisciplinary care team, which may include radiologists, surgeons, oncologists and radiation oncologists
- Offers online pre-registration and online appointment requests for screening mammograms
- Offers same-day screening mammograms
- Provides screening mammograms and more advanced forms of breast imaging
Orange Park Medical Center has been recognized by the American College of Radiology (ACR) for excellence in mammography, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and ultrasounds.
Comprehensive breast imaging services
Screening mammograms are the most common type of breast imaging performed to screen for breast cancer. However, mammograms are often supplemented by additional breast imaging exams to ensure every patient receives the thorough screening they need. This is particularly important for women with dense breast tissue, which can make mammograms more difficult to read.
Imaging options for women coming to the Breast Care Center include:
- Breast magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Breast ultrasounds
- Digital diagnostic mammograms
- Digital screening mammograms
- Galactograms (imaging of the milk ducts)
- Sentinel node imaging (evaluates the lymph nodes)
In addition to advanced imaging technology, we use computer-aided detection as an extra layer of defense in identifying breast cancer. After your imaging specialist reads your results, computer-aided detection may be used to find any small abnormalities warranting a second look.
Breast diagnostic services
If an abnormality is found on an imaging exam, we can perform additional tests and biopsies, if needed. Not every abnormality found on a mammogram is related to breast cancer, so a breast biopsy is important to confirm or deny a breast cancer diagnosis. Our biopsy services include:
- MRI-guided breast biopsies
- Stereotactic breast biopsies
- Ultrasound-guided breast biopsies
Our doctors also offer preoperative needle localization procedures to precisely locate breast abnormalities before breast surgery. This helps with pre-surgical planning and allows our breast surgeons to quickly locate the targeted breast area during surgery.
If a breast cancer diagnosis is confirmed, our staff can easily connect you with our hospital's oncology services to form a plan of care.
Breast MRI risk assessment for breast cancer
In accordance with guidelines provided by the American Cancer Society (ACS), we perform screening breast MRIs for breast cancer risk assessments. Women with a strong family history of breast cancer or other related risk factors may desire a risk assessment. If you have a lifetime breast cancer risk of 20 percent or more, a screening MRI may be beneficial to your long-term health.
Are you interested in scheduling a risk assessment? You can contact our breast imaging nurse navigator at (904) 639-8600, ext. 8427 to learn more.
Breast imaging nurse navigation
For some, the fear of developing breast cancer is very real. Many women may be more likely to receive a breast cancer diagnosis due to factors such as genetic mutations and family histories. We understand that every woman has unique breast health concerns, which is why our staff includes a certified breast imaging nurse navigator. With expertise in breast imaging, our nurse navigator facilitates breast cancer educational resources, helps schedule appointments and offers emotional support.
Our nurse navigator commonly assists patients with:
- Coordinating follow-up care alongside your primary care provider and other referring physicians
- Guiding you to resources and contacts, such as the ACS and support groups
- Listening to your concerns, answering questions and helping you understand what to expect from different tests and procedures