To find a physician to fit your individual needs, call Consult-A-Nurse® at (800) 889-3627.
Neurosurgery involves the evaluation and treatment of problems of the brain, spine and nerves. Treatment may involve surgery. If your doctor thinks you may be a candidate for surgery because of one of these problems, you may be referred to a neurosurgeon.
Common Conditions Treated
- Back pain due to:
- Herniated (ruptured) disks, which are the cushions between the bones of your spine
- Sciatica, a condition caused by compression of the sciatic nerve or injury to this nerve that starts in the low back and runs through the buttocks and down the leg. Symptoms include: pain, weakness, numbness or tingling in the legs
- Spinal stenosis, a condition caused by narrowing of the openings inside the bones of your spine that surround and protect your spinal cord.
- Neck pain from:
- Herniated disks
- Bone spurs, most often due to osteoarthritis or spondylosis, a condition caused by degeneration of the disks and the bones of your spine
- Spine, Brain and Pituitary tumors
- Orange Park Medical Center was the first hospital in North Florida to use the Brain Lab, which is a frameless, stereotactical system for brain tumor surgery. This extremely advanced technology uses a camera, a computer and laser to pinpoint the location of a brain tumor. This is more comfortable for the patient, is less invasive and leads to more accurate surgery and, ultimately, a shorter hospital stay.
- Brain bleeds from strokes
- Conditions treated by Orange Park Medical Center’s Comprehensive Stroke Center are brain bleeds from stroke, ruptured aneurysms, non-ruptured aneurysms, carotid artery stenosis and artery blockage in your brain.
- Some patients may be a candidate for a non-surgical approach. Orange Park Medical Center has an Interventional Neurologist on staff 24/7.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome, a condition caused by compression of the nerve that runs from the forearm through the wrist and into the hand. Symptoms include: pain, tingling and numbness in the palm and fingers.
- Ulnar nerve entrapment, a condition caused by compression of the ulnar nerve that runs from the collarbone and along the upper arms and through the elbow. Symptoms include: numbness and tingling in the ring finger and little finger.
Cervical Spine Fusions
The neurosurgical team at Orange Park Medical Center performs cervical spinal fusions without taking any bone grafts from the patient. Cervical spinal fusion is done to remove a herniated cervical disk that is causing neck pain, or neck pain along with pain that extends down the arm.