(Conscious Sedation; Monitored Anesthesia Care; MAC; Sedation, Conscious; Sedation, Moderate)
Reasons for Procedure
- Faster recovery time
- Fewer complications
What to Expect
Prior to Procedure
- Your medical history, including any previous reaction to anesthetics
- Medicines that you are currently taking (including prescription drugs, over-the-counter products, herbs, and supplements)
- Avoid eating and drinking 8-12 hours before the surgery
- Take an anesthetic the morning of the surgery
Description of Procedure
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Immediately After Procedure
How Much Will It Hurt?
Average Hospital Stay
Call Your Doctor
- Signs of infection (such as, fever, chills)
- Nausea and vomiting
- Pain that cannot be controlled with the medicines that you were given
- Cough, shortness of breath, chest pain
- Dizziness, lightheadedness
American Association of Nurse Anesthetists http://www.aana.com
American Society of Anesthesiologists http://www.asahq.org
Canadian Anesthesiologists' Society http://www.cas.ca
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
American Society of Anesthesiologists. Distinguishing monitored anesthesia care (MAC) from moderate sedation/analgesia (conscious sedation). 2009;Oct 21.
Bayman E, Dexter F, et al. National incidence of use of monitored anesthesia care. Anesth Analg . 2011;113(1):165-169.
Furstein J, Patel M, et al. Use of dexmedetomidine for monitored anesthesia care for diskography in adolescents. AANA Journal . 2011;79(5):421-425.
Ghisi D, Fanelli A, et al. Monitored anesthesia care. Minerva Anestesiol . 2005;71(9):533-538.
Monitored anesthesia care. Northeastern Anesthesia Services website. Available at: http://www.northeasternanesthesia.com/youranasthesia/care.php . Accessed August 1, 2012.
Monitored anesthesia care (MAC). Berkshire Health Systems website. Available at: http://www.bhs1.org/body.cfm?id=1664 . Accessed August 1, 2012.
Thompson K. Monitored anesthesia care. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill website. Available at: http://www.unc.edu/~rvp/old/RP%5FAnesthesia/Barash/Ch47%5FMAC.html . Accessed August 1, 2012.
- Reviewer: Marcin Chwistek, MD
- Review Date: 09/2013 -
- Update Date: 09/30/2013 -