(Diskogram; Discography; Discogram)
|Herniated Lumbar Disk|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Reasons for Test
- Disc degeneration
- Nerve injury
- Injection of dye into the wrong area
- Allergic reaction to the contrast agent
What to Expect
Prior to Test
- Physical exam and medical history
- Pregnancy test—this test is not usually needed on pregnant women
- Determine if you have any allergies
- Possibly prescribe a mild sedative to help you relax (In some cases, you may be sedated.)
If prescribed a sedative:
- Arrange to have someone drive you home from the care center. Also, arrange for someone to help you at home.
- Take the sedative as directed by your doctor.
- Before the test, remove any metal objects from your body (eg, jewelry, hearing aids, dentures).
Description of the Test
How Long Will It Take?
Will It Hurt?
Call Your Doctor
- Signs of infection, including fever and chills
- Severe pain
- Numbness in your legs
- Trouble urinating or moving your bowels
- Symptoms of allergic reaction (eg, hives , itching, nausea, swollen or itchy eyes, tight throat, difficulty breathing)
- Worsening of your symptoms
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/
North American Spine Society http://www.spine.org/
Canadian Orthopaedic Association http://www.coa-aco.org/
Canadian Orthopaedic Foundation http://www.canorth.org/
Carragee EJ, Don AS, Hurwitz EL, Cuellar JM, Carrino JA, Herzog R. Does discography cause accelerated progression of degeneration changes in the lumbar disc: a ten-year matched cohort study. Spine. 2009;34(21):2338-2345.
Diskography. North American Spine Society website. Available at: http://www.spine.org/fsp/troubleshooting-diskography.cfm . Accessed May 30, 2007.
Diskography: science and the ad hoc hypothesis. American Journal of Neuroradiology website. Available at: http://www.ajnr.org/cgi/content/full/21/2/241 . Accessed June 6, 2007.
Stout A. Discography. Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am. 2010;21(4):859-867.
- Reviewer: John C. Keel, MD
- Review Date: 12/2012 -
- Update Date: 12/03/2012 -